Beating Cancer, one day at a time

Beating Cancer, one day at a time

Saturday 9 May 2015

Almost famous?

Some people dream their whole lives about being famous. To see their name displayed in lights, or spread across a headline of a newspaper. I was never one of those individuals. I pride myself in enjoying the simpler things in life. Good friends, a hot bath and a quiet book.

I've had one hell of a year, but last week was by far one of the most surreal moments of my life. I've always been very open and honest about my journey but I never could've anticipated the kind of response I've received. You can imagine my surprise when I had a friend message to tell me I was featured on People.com between the Princess and Drew Barrymore, "what?!"



Like I said, some people search their whole lives for that kind of 'celebrity status' whether they've achieved it by demonstrating great talent or simply marrying rich, to each their own. I never expected to be in the spotlight, especially because I have Cancer. When did Nicole Jannis become so famously known as the "girl that could?"

I'm honoured that people have found my story so inspiring. It's amazing that journalists have taken an interest and are helping me share my journey with others. Most people would jump at the opportunity to be given such a platform. But with a voice, a steady climbing audience and new found stardom comes a certain level of responsibility. What do I want to say?

I'm grateful for the thousands of friend requests I've received over the past week, the millions of views and all the positive feedback and comments. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't overwhelming. Within one week I was featured on HLN, Yahoo Canada, People and Time. That's unbelievable!

I wont get into the details of that video, you've all seen it by now, the one they love to screenshot for all the articles (love midsentence pictures). I filmed it 24 hours after being told my Cancer had advanced to stage 4 and spread through out my body. It's so surreal to imagine that only a few months ago I was given the most devastating information of my life, and now that video is being viewed by millions of people. To think, when I started this, it was just a way for me to share my news. And now, I'm the one being featured on the news.

It's been over a year since I made my first video (days after I was originally diagnosed) of me chopping off my hair and declaring "fuck cancer" for the very first time. In the beginning, the videos were just for me. I found it empowering to take charge and prove to the world that I could fight back. Social media was as much of a distraction as it was the easiest way to keep in contact with my friends and family.

Doing interviews, speaking on camera and giving speeches at large functions became an overnight norm for me. Sharing my journey was just as important as fighting it. I always believed that if this was something I had to go through, maybe I could help someone. It's easier to believe that, that maybe everything happens for a reason. That I was given this battle so that something greater might come of it.

Well a lot of good certainly has come of it. Through out this journey I've had the opportunity to meet more people than I would've ever thought possible. I want to personally thank every journalist, photographer and member of the media that has reached out over the past year. That have not only found my story inspirational, but have done an amazing job sharing it.

One of my favourite photographers became renowned for taking pictures of other celebrities. Annie Leibovitz once said, "I'm more interested in being good than famous." I think that's very true of her work, it's beautiful and speaks for itself.

I'm not trying to compare myself to one of the best photographers of our time, but I resonate with what she's trying to say. It's more important to me that I help raise awareness, share my story, and inspire others than being featured on any leading website. But I'm grateful for the opportunity.

I can only hope that you all continue to find my story inspiring. I've been so blessed to meet amazing survivors that help empathise with this diagnoses better than anyone. I'm honored they can relate to my entries and articles, I hope I do them justice.

Perhaps last week was just my '15 minutes of fame' and I'm okay with that. I never thought I would be known as the positive girl fighting Cancer, but that's what I am, a fighter. Despite the fact that this whole experience is a little overwhelming, I'm willing to accept it and keep trying. If just one person reads these articles and it helps change their life, then it's all worth it.

I may never see my name across a billboard, or sign a record deal, but I'm okay with that. I'm honored to be the 'girl that could.' I promise to continue my battle the only way I know how, with positivity, humour, and all of you. And maybe one day I'll be the 'girl that did.'

I've posted some of the links below if you'd like to check them out. I should warn you, I'm trying to keep it real and my quotes are a little unorthodox, but so am I. Please don't wash my mouth out with soap.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/terminal-at-twenty-nine--cancer-patient-nicole-jannis-candidly-speaks-out-on-the-realities-of-dying-young-124940352.html

http://time.com/3839453/nicole-jannis-stage-4-cancer/?xid=fbshare

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2015/04/22/inspirational-cancer-patient-journey

http://www.people.com/article/nicole-jannis-stage-4-cancer-still-fighting-feisty



1 comment:

  1. Way to go Nicole...love reading how your life is going...keep going kid !!!!

    ReplyDelete